Bowsprite: A New York Harbor Sketchbook

Coney Island Brighton Beach Open Water Swimmers’ race: Grimaldo’s Mile!

Posted in cibbows, coney island brighton beach, swim, water quality by bowsprite on 2009/08/10

The Coney Island Brighton Beach Open Water Swimmers‘ annual 1 mile race was held yesterday, Sunday.  They hold several public races, and swim every weekend. Swim buddies are available if you are interested in swimming at any time: pre-dawn, midnight, throughout the winter, et cetera. Contact them here for anything at all! they are a very open, welcoming group of waterlovers.

Grimaldo, for whom the race is named, was the lifeguard who first made it possible for the group to swim beyond the jetties. Vibrant, joyous and ebullient, he passed away in April to leukemia, but his personality is still felt at his chair at Brighton 4th street, where the swim group meets and where people congregate.

Come swim!

How is the quality? you could go here to find readings…Or not: follow Sebago‘s links. Other hazards? sharks? yes, well, they will leave you alone (not you, Michael). Jellyfish? a few float by, intermittently. The Coney Island Whitefish? they also float by, but being usually latex and inert, are harmless. Your worse danger: jetskiers coming at you at high speed with the light behind you and in their eyes!

About these ads

9 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Vagabonde said, on 2009/08/10 at 19:30

    It must be nice to have a beach close by. For us, we’d have to drive at least 5 hours to Hilton Head, SC or 6 hrs to Savannah. Even if the sea is too cold or not up to standards, it’s so nice to sit in the sand with a book and watch the waves. The people in your beach scenes look like they are having fun.

  2. tugster said, on 2009/08/11 at 06:26

    interesting new look to yer blog. 2 Q’s: how does one get a delightful orange t-shirt and did the LIC boathouse folks paddle to Brighton Beach thru darkness to get there by daybreak? Oh . . . another Q: can i use THAT map for navigation?

    • bowsprite said, on 2009/08/11 at 18:00

      • did the LIC boathouse folks paddle to Brighton Beach thru darkness to get there by daybreak?
      –yes! they left Long Island City at midnight, paddled down the east river, probably through buttermilk channel, through the anchorages of bay ridge & gravesend bay, under the verrazano-narrows bridge, through lower bay, and into coney channel to get to brighton by 4am–whew!

      • how does one get a delightful orange t-shirt? –you’ll see : )

      • can i use THAT map for navigation? –uh, chair is not drawn to scale.

  3. Brian said, on 2009/08/11 at 13:05

    Karen and I saw a bunch of people swimming off Coney Island when we headed into the harbor for City of Water Day. They were going almost as fast as we were in Puffin.

    Glad to see you’re home. We tried calling you on the VHF back in the beginning of July: We were passing by your place on our way home from Waterford, but I think you were across the big pond.

  4. Celeste Maia said, on 2009/08/11 at 13:24

    Great photos, what a collection of people, everybody having fun. I liked the way you posted the photos, I felt as if I was on a ship below the water line. The swimming sounds tempting, but dangerous. Jetskiers coming at your at full speed with the light in their eyes???

  5. Michael said, on 2009/08/11 at 13:42

    Jetskiers are a real hazard. For some reason the machines often attract people who, well, um, let’s call jetskis “asshole magnets”. Or to quote a good friend, “95% of jetskiers ruin the reputation of the other 5%”. (If one of the 5% is reading, well then, you know how it is.)

    Great photos!

    -shark magnet

    • bowsprite said, on 2009/08/11 at 15:27

      ah, there are asshole swimmers, too–but very much proportionally less.
      But, Michael! swimming the rocky edge of Silvaplanasee in switzerland, I swear some windsurfers were out to chase me and mow me down. A whole lake was before them, but a few clipped closer than they needed to be, thirsting to decapitate me with their daggers…

  6. tugster said, on 2009/08/11 at 21:03

    so glad you told me the guards’ chair was NOT to scale; a life-threatening miscalculation might otherwise have occurred.

  7. [...] Coney Island Brighton Beach Open Water Swimmers’ race: Grimaldo’s … [...]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 391 other followers

%d bloggers like this: